Saturday, 24 August 2019

Tifeaghna Co Kilkenny in the Barony of Galmoy, the Parish of Sheffin and the Poor Law Union of Urlingford.




Tifeachna


This beautifully cared for graveyard is in the Catholic Parish of Lisdowney and in the old Parish of Sheffin.  Carrigan (1904) states this was called Theghfegre in a 1526 document  but appears in 1621, 1637 and 1641 as Tafeaghrae or Tafeaghny or Tyfeaghrae.  In the Down Survey of 1655 it appears as Tifeighny.  In all cases it translates from the Irish as the House or Church of Fiachra or St Fiachra.  It may have been the original Parish Church of Sheffin.  However not a single stone is evident of the ancient church that once stood here. 
From Patricks Journey into Ossory "a visit was paid by Pulcherius, Canice,  Molua, and Mofecta or Feachtna to Mocumb, at the church of Tifeachna. A monk named Macumb is later attributed as being the founder of  the Church of Grange Macumb on the banks of the Nore, near Ballyraggett.   These saints having tarrried at Tifeaghna a while before parting with their friend, placed each, a stone one above the other to commemorate their meeting and later at Tifeaghna, on the western side of the churchyard, a pyramidal - shaped monument, built of small truncated cones, placed loosely one on top of the other; they are probably the memorials referred to in the aforesaid chapter".   There is now no sign at all of this pyramid.
Near Tifeaghna another old church-site Clontubrid, is identified with Feachtna.  Cluain Tiobrait...a holy well over which is built a very ancient structure called Tobar na Drui, "The Well of the Sage".  Canon Carrigan refers to this well as Tobar a "dhithreabhaigh" "The Well of the Hermit".
Fiachra was known as the Hermit.  Saint Fiachra born about 590 A.D. was originally a native of north west Connaught and ordained a priest there.  He sought solace and isolation as a hermit at Ullard Graiguenamanagh, and Kilfera near Kilkenny.  Kilfera was the church with which he was connected before he left Ireland for Gaul. 


In surveying this graveyard we first made a map and we recorded 128 memorials overall.  One memorial, No 38 is a small broken headstone decorated with an IHS.  It is exquisitively carved. This stone was recently dug up out of another grave that was being prepared for a new burial.  The inscription reads "Here lyeth ye body of Thomas Hollant who departed this life...." (rest buried).  The caretaker, who was mowing the grass whilst we were there, told us the approximate date on the stone was 1741.
The graveyard has a very large number of 18th century memorials.  There are three erected pre-1750 bearing the dates 1722, 1741, and 1741 respectively.  These earliest stones appear to be cut in red sandstone. There are 25 memorials bearing dates between 1750 - 1799  (1752, 1758, 1771x2, 1772, 1774, 1776x2, 1772x2, 1778, 1779, 1782, 1788x3, 1787, 1789, 1790, 1794, 1795x2, 1796, 1797x2).  In addition there are 29 early 19th century memorials erected between 1800 - 1849, (1806,1807,1808x3, 1810x2, 1811x3, 1812, 1814, 1815, 1816x2, 1819, 1821x2, 1827, 1829, 1830, 1832, 1836, 1837x2, 1839. 1843. These 19th century memorials are predominantly cut in Kilkenny limestone. There is a Killeen, a burial place for children within the graveyard, and as was the case, strangers to the area and people without means were likely to be also interred in the North side of the graveyard.

Table tomb of Mr John and Patrick Lewis right corner inside gate 1828 and 1829
 "they possessed qualities useful and likeable being sound, friendly,  charitable and honest and generous to the poor"









          Double headed stone of Patrick Loughman and his wife Mary Loughman Alias Walsh



Seated area in the shelter of an Ash tree


There are at least four stones with memorial poems or verses on them.
Memorial No 94 which is an old upright stone decorated with a  Gloria In Excelsus Deo in a scroll and 2 side Ciboria was erected by Michael Doran in memory of his father William who departed this life December 4th 1787 aged 55 years. This little verse is not one we came across before " Die we must without control, Lord have mercy on me soul"
Memorial No 68
On the Tomb of Mary Fitzpatrick alias Campion 5th June 1788 aged 36 years and her son Timothy Fitzpatrick 15th Janry 1793 aged 19 yrs.
Stand here my friends, wipe off your tears, here we be till Christ appears, when he comes we hope to rise  (uable to read last line would have read).... Into a life that never dies.

Memorial No 106
Memory bells are ringing, ringing
In the distance far away
Do you hear them singing, singing,
Do you hear them singing, singing,

Do you hear their mellow rhyming
Do you hear the clear sweet story
Of your childhood's far off glory
Do they take you back to years

Clouded by no haunting fears
When your path was strewn with flowers
When a rainbow arched your sky
And when faith stood smiling.

Researching this verse Mary found what seems to be an abreviated version of Memory Bells , in the Journal of Education for Ontario Vols 27/28 Page 186, 1874.   No author attributed to it, ( see below for more details about this very interesting stone).

The Iconography across the graveyard is representative of a general trend within Kilkenny, where the Christogram, the IHS, appears in a central position with a cross resting on the bar of the H, and usually within a Corona Radiata also called a Sunburst, at the top of the stone  Underneath the Corona Radiata is usually a scroll or ribbon with Gloria In Excelsus Deo written in it.  On either side of this are Ciboria (which resembles a lidded Chalice with a cross) depicted within a Lancet window shape.  The carving on this fragment below of a very early headstone, is by a skilled carver but we did not find the remaining pieces. Angel faces with wings can appear on the top of the stones and represent the departing soul.

Pensive Angel finger to her lips suggesting words less said




At Tigfeachna the public road wraps around the graveyard on three sides




Old Forged Gate with novel closing strategy which works


Revd. Thomas Doran
Table Tomb No 49 above reads-

Sacred to the memory of Revd Thomas
Doran,  Tintore, who had been....
Curate of the Parishes ...., Castlecomer
and  Callan in the last of which he closed his Mission
Called forever the piety and Ardent zeal
The brilliant ....accomplishment of
Amiable young clergy....his mind
.....opportunity of..
....splendour...
...were the..
Shining light in the Church
..in the bloom of Sanctity 7th June 1831 aged 30 years
In him were
...word of the..
Holy Ghost...in the midst of
..and as the sun...when..
It shines so did he shine in the example of God
Eccessiast
Requiescat in Pace

McEvoy Headstone

 Memorial  No 53 reads:-

           Erected by Edward McEvoy in memory of his father Edward McEvoy who has been here interred. He died Sept 16th 1815 aged 78 years.  Also his mother Bridget McEvoy alias Hoyne died Nov 1st 1832 aged 70.  Also his brother Michael died Nov 1st 1836 aged 28.   Also Bridget Brown who was lost on her way to America aged 22 in the ill fated Atlantic April 1 1873.  Requeiscant in Pace Amen". 
      Bridget Brown  was lost on her way to America in the disaster of  the SS Atlantic.   Built in 1871 by Harland and Wollf, Belfast for the White Star Line.  The Atlantic was on its 19th voyage across the Atlantic; she departed Liverpool on 20th March, via Queenstown, Ireland and was bound for New York.  The voyage was rough and the ship was diverted to Halifax, Nova Scotia to take on more coal; Instead of Halifax though, she was off course by about 20 kilometers and smashed into rocks at full speed and ran aground near the fishing community of Prospect Hill, Nova Scotia.  There were 975 people on board. Over 550 perished including all the women and all the children bar one boy who was rescued.  The bodies not claimed by relatives were buried in the village of Terence Bay (277 in the Anglican St Paul’s Cemetery and 150 in the RC Star of the Sea Cemetery). This was the biggest ship wreck in Nova Scotia history and the second biggest in Canadian history. It was the worst disaster for the White Star Line until the sinking of the Titanic.  Bridget Mary Brown is listed as a Steerage passenger; another Kilkenny girl is also named amongst the victims:- Ann Cleary from near Mount Loftus but we have not been able to identify her.  All the single women and children were sleeping in the part of the ship that was very quickly submerged under the water. Recovery of the bodies and their burial took weeks to complete. See www.atlantic.com which is part of the SS Atlantic Society, established in 1998 by the citizens of Terence Bay and Lower Prospect.  There is also an SS Atlantic Heritage Park and small museum. Artifacts from the wreck can be seen here or at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  See also on You tube the SS Atlantic Sinking in Real Time Documentary.  The ship sunk in less than half an hour. 
      Bridget Brown was the granddaughter of Edward McEvoy (1737-1815) and Bridget Hoyne  circa 1766-1832) who are recorded on the headstone.   Bridget Browwn was the daughter of John Brown of Upper Patrick's Street Kilkenny and of Bridget McEvoy, daughter of the above couple.   Bridget was the sixth child born to John  Brown and Bridget McEvoy but she was not 22 years old when she drowned but 32 yrs (St Patrick's Parish Bridget Brown baptised 3rd June 1840).   The family were not affluent and her father is described in documentation as a labourer.  Her brother John, also of Patrick's Street , Kilkenny was a car man and labourer and illiterate.  There are no headstones to the Brown family in St Patrick's Kilkenny.  Her brother John and his wife Ellen Cantwell had a little girl whom they baptised Bridget on 17th December 1873, eight months after the sinking of the SS Atlantic and named obviously after his sister Bridget.


Graveyards a haven for  nature
      Memorial No 19
      Beneath are interred the remains of Mr John and Mary Coyne late of Urlingford. The former died 27th June 1807 in the 55th year of his age. The latter his fond wife on the 22nd of November 1844 in the 85th year of her age, and the 38th year of her faithful widowhood.   Beloved respected by her children, grandchildren, and friends and aquaintances and more particurlarly by the poor.  May they rest in Peace Amen.


Brodrick Memorial no 106
Memorial  No 106 reads:-

     Large kerbed plot with 2 upright stones; Left hand stone (106) is a small upright.  Erected by Sergt Patrick Brodrick (sic) late of the 2nd Regt Bombay E. Lt I, E L co S, in grateful remembrance of his beloved wife Sarah Brodrick alias Kelly who died February 9th 1871 aged 72 years. A good daughter and faithful and loving wife. May her souls rest in peace.  Memory Bells ringing, ringing in the distance far away, singing, singing, Will you tell me what they say PB.  Also her father Thos Kelly is here interred aged 80 years. 
    A Google search for Sergt Patrick Brodrick brought up the following information from a short article and photos in History Ireland (Jan/Feb 2015 Vol 7 23) under title An Indian veteran’s musket.  The musket has the following inscription engraved on a brass plate: 2nd by En Lt Infy. EIC. Gnl No 36. No 6 Company. Sergt PK Broderick(sic). This fusil was on field service in the campaigns of 1844 and 1845 in the Southern Mahatta Country,  Samanghut 13 Oct 1844, Capture of Botherchur 5th Nov, Punnella Ghur 1 Dec 1844, Capture of Rangnah 12 Dec 44, attack on Sussedroogh 12 Dec 44, Descent of the Suspension Ladder to the Fort of Monchar, down the Elephant rock at the Hunmunt Ghat 17 Jan 1845.  Cleared the Stockades from the Top of the Chauts on the Vingorla Rd 10 Feb 1845.  This piece presented by Capt C.T. Aikchinson 8 Oct 1853. St of the Bombay European Regiment.  This is a muzzle loaded musket  and has a bullet lodged in the musket that saved his life.   Broderick donated the musket to the National Museum in 1890. The Bombay European Regiment was renamed the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1881. 

      Memorial  no 107,  sharing the same Kerbed plot with the above No 106

       In loving memory of James O`Donnell Bohergloss died 2nd Mar 1954 aged 80 yrsHis wife  Joanna died 31st May 1953 aged 77 yrs.  Their daughters Catherine died 27th May 1953 aged 37 yrs.   Brigid died 1920 aged 18yrs.  Mossie died 1926 aged 14 yrs, Julia died 10th Dec 1991 aged 76 yrs.  Their son Patrick died 16th July 1992 aged 85 yrs.  Also their grandsons and granddaughters.   Erected by their Grandson Edward O`Donnell.


Butterfly visiting a rose at the wall Plaque that remembers the Dooley Family Coolcashin Gathabawn
Index of Names

Asser 121
Bergin 118      
Birch 124
Bowden 16
Broderick 120
Brodrick 8, 25, 46, 106
Brown 51
Byrn 81
Cahill 88, 92
Camption 10, 11, 12, 30, 31,76, 82, 83, 87, 95, 96, 100, 102
Carey 98
Cashin   57
Corragan 74
Costigan 55, 78, 79, 118
Coyne 19, 20, 21, 52, 72
Cuddihy 112, 121, 122, 123
Cullanan 77
Cummins 39
Dalton 32
Deegan 69
Doheny 117
Dooley 4
Doran 49, 56, 57, 93, 94
Dowling 86, 108, 125
Duggan 62
Dunphy 21, 47
Egan 82
Fitzpatrick 11, 41, 43, 44, 45, 63, 66, 67
Foley 70
Gorman 67
Grace 21, 86
Gregg 91    
Harney 102
Hartford 91
Hayde 73
Hayes 12
Healy 25, 90
Hickey 78
Holehan 15
Holohan 98
Hollant 38
Hoyne 51, 71, 72
Joice 126
Jordan33, 37
Jourdan 36
Joyce 127
Kealy 20, 52, 53
Kelly 106
Kennedy 117
Kerwick 92, 126
Lalor 90, 93
Lewis 7, 9, 63
Loughman 13, 22, 23, 24
McAboy 81
McDaniel 82
Macevoy 51
Maher 71
Monahan 128
Mulhall 104
Mulrooney 102
Murphy 87, 127
Neary 124
O 'Donnell 107
O 'Hara 36
O 'Hare 33
O 'Toole 69
Phelan 10, 24, 25, 79, 86 101
Phillips 97
Purcell 17 18 29
Quirke 58, 75
Roberts 118
Ronan 16
Ryan 17, 77, 89, 91, 116, 125
Shortall 60, 61
Skehan 48
Slattery 28, 39, 65
Staunton 65
Straham 96
Sweeeney 104
Travers 122
Wade 121
Walsh 13, 22, 32
Walshe 92
Wellwood 91
White 57
Woodward 128

Index of Placenames on the Memorials


America 51
Baliel 7
Balleen 20, 21, 39, 102, 117
Ballough 74
Ballyconnley 10
Ballycoony 48
Ballygoony 89, 90
Ballykealy 100
Ballyspellan 24
Barna 73
Belfast 43
Bohergloss 29, 107
Bombay 106
Callan 49
Castlecomer 49, 66
Clomantagh 73
Clone 32
Clontubrid 30
Coolcashin 4, 118, 128
England 121
Foyle 18, 97
Foyle Bridge 28
Frankfort 17
Freshford 29, 33, 65, 69, 116
Garnagale 83 (Carnagale?)
Garrydague 67
Gathabawn 4, 17, 18, 25
Goologue 11
Gurtnamuck 60, 61
Kilcommon 17
Lodge 93. 101
Lodge Park 72, 122
Lodgepark 69
London 122
Loughstown78, 79
Lowheney 82
Lr (Lower) Tubrid 104
Newtown Hill 15
St Malachys College 43
Rathbeagh 92
Rathdowney 43
Spaw 8
Tentore 8
Threecastle 77
Tifeaghna 86, 108, 121, 123
Tifeaghna 31
Tiffeighne 46
Tinniscarthy 119
Tinniscarthy 53
Tintore 49
Upperchurch 17
Urlingford 19, 69
USA 43

List of Mason who have signed stornes

Coffey, Ballyragget 98
Coffey and Son Ballyragget 101
Gargan Kilkenny 72
Hoban,  Kilkenny 25, 67
Houlihan, Rathdowney 43
Mullan 17
Mullan, Kilkenny 118,119, 121, 122, 123, 128
O ' Keeffe Kilkenny 61
J. Ryan Freshford 52

Occupations noted on the Memorials

Capt  (Kilkenny Brigade, IRA),  90
Curate 49
Professor 43
Revd 43, 49, 72
Sergt 106 (2nd Regt Bombay European light Infantry)

Memorials with Eulogies

7, 19, 49

Memorials with Poems

68, 94, 96,106








Sunday, 4 August 2019

Grangemacomb Graveyard, Parish of Lisdowney, county Kilkenny

Carrigan (1904) states that the civil parish of Grangemacomb is in a union of three ancient parishes:- Ardaloo, Kilcoman and Grangemacomb.  Of these Ardaloo belonged to the Priory of Kells in Kilkenny, Kilcolman, also called Conahy, belonged to the Abbey of St Thomas, Dublin,  and Grangemacomb which consisted of the townlands of Grange, Lisduff and Oldtown, which belonged to the Abbey of Jerpoint in Kilkenny.
This is a tiny graveyard accessed via a farmer's operational farmyard and his pasture for animals.(Thank you to the farmer for kindly allowing us this access).  The graveyard, which has both Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland burials, is on private land and definitely not visible from the road. Crossing a field there is a walled enclosure and within is one wall, a west wall, of a ruined medieval church still standing. Carrigan records that more church ruins were standing as late as 1847 but the remaining walls were taken down to make way for a new vault for the Stannard-Lanigan family, the local landlord family.  Within the walled graveyard is a wonderful oval shaped private burial area for the Stannard-Lanigan family which is situated exactly where the east window and altar of the now demolished church would have stood.  This private burial area is surrounded by beautiful cast iron railings with an arched gate allowing access to this private area.  The iron railings are of extremely high quality and standard but they have not been painted for many, many years. Try as we could, we were totally unable to find any makers mark or signature on the railing. We suspect they were probably made in Dublin.

In all there were only 18 memorials visible. Memorials 1-7 are within the private burial area and relate to the Stannard-Lanigan family and its extended family members.  Memorial No 8, outside the railed enclosure is also erected to a member of the Stannard family.
A magnificent and very imposing coffin shaped memorial on three raised plinths over the Stannard-Lanigan burial vault, Note the huge clawed feet, complete with nails, which stand on the four corners supporting the memorial.  This particular memorial is to William Stannard (died 13th June 1855),  Ellen Stannard, his widow (died 12th Oct 1875) and Lt Col Henry Stannard (died 1st May 1904).

The Stannard-Lanigan family is of huge interest. This particular line of the Lanigan family buried in Grangemacomb,  assumed the name of Stannard sometime in the 18th century but had converted to the Church of Ireland prior to that earlier in the 18th century.  This Lanigan family is originally from Cloonygoose in county Tipperary which is close to the Kilkenny town of Callan and they appear in deeds and marriage licences as early as 1720s. They can be found around the Callan area in places such as Ballykeefe and the parish  of Kilmanagh.  At least two members of the Protestant line from Grangemacomb can be found as Freemen in the City of Waterford in the 18th century,  The Catholic line is also of great interest marrying into the Fogartys of Castle Fogarty in Tipperary and also into the Catholic family of Ryan of Inch, Tipperary. The Catholic lines were responsible for at least two parish priests and James Lanigan, Bishop Lanigan, the RC Bishop of Ossory from 1789-1812, an extremely erudite man. We have now acquired a great amount of material about these Lanigan families and are compiling detailed family trees.  Edward MacLysaght (former Chief Herald of Ireland) states that the name Lanigan is mainly to be found in county Kilkenny.  Lanigan can be spelt in a variety of ways:- Lannigan, Lenigan, Lanegane etc.,
We are grateful to Michael O'Dwyer, former Hon Librarian of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society for bringing to our attention a newspaper report  on the death and burial at Grangemacomb of Robert Stannard Esq.,(The Kilkenny Moderator January 31st 1894)
This is a small vernacular memorial probably carved by the father for his daughter. Note the spelling of DAGHTER and the uneven lettering and uncertain spelling.   The letters "y" have a wonderful flourish to them and curly tails. . The stone is broken in the top left hand corner, but the piece was lying on the ground nearby.  It reads "Here lyeth ye body of Antis Bergin  who depd (departed) July ye 5th 1754 aged 15 yers.  Daghter to John Bergin".  Note also the attempt at decoration on the stone with a fine crucifix within a sunburst or corona at the top,  and the addition of two faces on either side of the cross. Are these attempts at the faces of Antis and her father John Bergin?  Further down in the centre of the stone is a large skull but in addition there is another small skull complete with teeth under the date 1754. There is also a cross at the end of this line.  Here is a memorial carved with grieving affection for a young  daughter with the father putting on the stone absolutely everything he could think of to remember his child.  This is the oldest surviving memorial in the graveyard and might be described as "folk art".



Names appearing on the memorials 
Bancroft 7
Bergin 13
Bollard 16
Brennan 17
Dowdall 1, 2
Edie 2
Eyre 4
Gallwey 4
Healy 9
Keating 17
McGrath 18
Murphy 9. 10
Pena, 7
Phelan 14
Ready 15
Stannard 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
Walsh 13, 14
Welch 15
Welsh 12


List of Places mentioned on the memorials
Ballydowall 5
Ballyragget 2, 5, 8,
Donoughmore 14
Eyre Court Castle 4
Galway, county 4
Grange 17
Kilkenny, county 5
The Grange 2

List of masons who signed their work
Gargan, Kilkenny 8

List of occupations, offices or ranks mentioned on the memorials
Captain 4
C.B. 1 (Companion of the Bath - a British Award)
Major 3
Lieut Col 5
Royal Engineers 4
Grangemacomb.  Now what exactly does this one say?.  Expert help from one of our canine graveyard explorers. And yes, believe it or not, we got the total inscription from this nineteenth century memorial.

Monday, 29 April 2019

The Tomb of Jane Harriet Robinson at Kilfane co Kilkenny


The Tomb of Jane Harriet Robinson at Kilfane co Kilkenny


Grave no 127.


Jane Harriet Robinson who fell asleep in Jesus, June 18th 1854.
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of God shall stand forever.

This memorial has been cared for and maintained by the community through the years and the railings are painted regurlary by Mrs Miriam Williams the Churchwarden at present Kilfane Church of Ireland.

In the recording of Kilfane graveyard we spent many hours here and made many visits and up until we really put our minds to researching, we did not know who this lady was interred here in this beautiful peaceful setting. We could not identify a mason mark on the tomb itself, or a Smith identified with the railings.

The Belfast Newsletter June 30th 1854
 "June 26th at the Rectory Thomastown Jane Harriet Robinson the wife of the Rev. Henry Robinson and eldest daughter of the Dean of Ferns."

Rev. Henry Newland was Dean of Ferns from 1842 -1962 he married to Hester Pemberton, their eldest daughter Jane Harriet married, January 29th 1850, Rev. Henry Robinson.

Rev.  Henry Robinson was Curate of Gorey Ferns co Wexford in 1845 and Curate in Thomastown 1846 to 1854.  Rev. Henry and Jane Harriet Robinson had two daughters, Jane Elizabeth Robinson and Amy B Robinson.
 After the death of his wife Rev. Henry Robinson went on to become a Chaplain to the Forces, 1855-1868, Served in the Crimea and in China (Medals). He was later Rector of St Paul's, St Leonard on Sea 1868- 1878, Vicar of Wesfield Sussex Chichester, 1881. He was the son of James Robinson a Lawyer.
The Belfast Newsletter 30th March 1859 announce the death of Jane Elizabeth Robinson at 69 Harcourt Street Dublin daughter of the Rev. Henry Robinson Chaplain to the Forces aged 6 years.
No 69 Harcourt Street, Dublin was owned by Col. Henry Vauvasour in 1850.

In the 1861 England  Census,

Rev. Henry Robinson is aged 36, Widower, born Trim Ireland and is  Curate of Ventnor Middlesex Ecclesiastical District St Catherines. Jane Harriet's sister is present ... Newland  age 29, born Wexford, her first name is not given and she is recorded as sister but should say probably sister in law. Amy B is 10 years old, born in Ireland.

Amy B  married The Reverend Henry Bartram on the 27th August 1876 at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England.

In the 1881 Census of England,

Amy B Bartram is in her father Rev. Henry Robinsons House, at 27 St Pauls Priory Without Cure of Souls.  Rev. Henry Robinson is now 56 years born Trim Ireland, Wife Elizabeth is 56 years born, Virginia.  Amy B born Ireland, Henry Bartram, Grandson 3 years born Tunbridge Wells and Voilet Bartram Grand-daughter aged 1 year, born Oxford, also present a niece Ada Gilliat aged 16 years, born Australia.

In 1891 Census England

Rev. Henry Bartram age 42 Vicar of Ramsgate, Kent, his wife Amy Bartram 40 years, born Thomastown, Ireland. His son Henry B Bartram 13 years, daughter Amy.V. E. Bartram 11 years.

 In the 1901 Census England

 Municipal Borough; Dover Urban District; Castleward
Reverend Henry Bartram age 52 born Sussex Hastings,  Kehampton, Clergyman Church of England, wife Amy Bartram age 49 years born Ireland. Daughter A.V.E. Bartram age 21 years.


Amy B Bartram daughter of Jane Harriet Newland Robinson and Rev. Henry Robinson died in 24th August 1909 and is buried in St Marys  Dover, Kent , England.
England and Wales National Probate Bartram Amy of St Marys Waterloo  Crescent, Dover, wife of the Reverend Henry Bartram died 24th August 1909 at 85 Oxford Terrace. London Probate Cantebury 9th September to the said Reverend Henry Bartrum Clerk, and Honorary Canon of Cantebury.

Their son  Henry Brocklesby Bartram b 1877 Tunbridge Wells, Borough of Kent
Dover Express Friday 25th September 1914
Bartram Henry Brocklesby Captain
Date of Death; 16/09/1914 age;36  Regiment; Royal Horse Artillery "E" Bty
Grave ref; E.H. 12. Cemetery; St Marys New  Cemetery, Dover.
Only son of Henry Barthram and Mrs Henry Bartram.
Husband of Alice Bartram of Blidworth Dale Lindby Nottingham.
Joined the Royal Horse Artillery in 1901 appointed Lieutenant in April 1901 and Captain in February 1909. Fought in the Battle of Mons and Cambrai.
Rev. E. H. Hardcastle (Vicar of Maidstone) was his Godfather. Captain Henry was interred in the same Cemetery and grave as his mother Amy B. Bartram 1909, and Reverend Henry Bartram 1934.

Henry Brocklesby Bartram married Alice Eugenia Smith daughter of Frederick Chatfield Smith and Harriet Matilda Pym in 1907 having issue Diana Bartram, Elizabeth Bartram, and Robert Bartram.

Robert Bartram, Capt. Harry Bob Brocklesby Bartram,  Serv no; 56912. 5 H.A.A. Regt., Royal Artillery. 25th December 1941. Age 27. Son of Harry Brocklesby Bartram and Alice Eugenia Bartram of Woodgreen Hampshire. 111.M.19. Capt.Harry Bob died on Christmas Day 1941 in defence of  Hong Kong.

His Great Grandmother Jane Harriet Robinson was interred in Kilfane Church of Ireland Cemetery June 18th 1854.  At that time Kilfane and Thomastown Church of Ireland Parishes were seperate.

Jane Harriet Robinson lived at the Glebe House Thomastown and her husband Revd Henry Robinson was the Curate at Thomastown St Marys Church of Ireland.  We can only surmise that being interred at Kilfane was a personal choice for Jane Harriet and Reverend Henry Robinson. 





Tuesday, 2 April 2019

Beck Family of Stonemasons, Thomastown, county Kilkenny.

Since we started working in Kilkenny graveyards, one of the things we have been careful to record is the name of any mason that has signed a memorial and any other information like his place if work.    Most early 18th/19th century stones are not signed at all but sometimes we can detect a style of carving or design from one graveyard to the next even when the stones have no signatures.    We have now quite an extensive list of masons who have worked in the county.  They are usually all men but we have recorded two stone masons who are women.  Because we have collected these names we notice patterns of where these masons worked and whether they worked on Protestant or Catholic memorials.   Some of the most famous Kilkenny masons are well documented such as the 16th/17th century Kerin family, the O'Tunneys,  or the O'Shea family of Callan whose fabulous work of  the 19th and 20th centuries adorns our graveyards.    But we now also have an inventory of more modest masons who left work in these Kilkenny graveyards.  This inventory of Kilkenny masons is quite unique and most of these masons are never listed in any of the early trade directories.
One family of stonemasons that caught out attention was the Becks of Thomastown, county Kilkenny.  So far we have found nine headstones carved and signed by members of this family who seemed to be operating between circa 1810 - 1861 to judge by the dates on the stones. Two of these stones are erected by Richard Beck of Thomastown to members of his own family and are not actually signed, but judging by the style it is probably safe to say they are also carved by him.  As you can see from the list below these Beck masons were apparently only working on headstones around the Thomastown area, although masons could also be travelling around looking for work.  And as far as we can ascertain the Becks appeared to work exclusively on Catholic family headstones.  These stones are always large upright stones decorated at the top with Christian symbolism such as an IHS, a Gloria Scroll usually inscribed "Gloria in Excelsius Deo",  ciborium or chalices on each side of the upper part of the stone and sometimes with a sunburst design or corona radiata surrounding the IHS.  The Becks tended to sign their work somewhere prominently on the top part of the headstone.
Here are the transcriptions of the stones the Becks are known to have carved and the graveyards where these memorials can be found:-

Ballyhale Graveyard (Parish of Ballyhale)

1. Old upright stone decorated with an IHS with corona radiata, 2 ciborium and a Gloria Scroll.  Erected by Richd Beck of Thomastown in memory of his wife Mary Beck alias Walsh who depd this life August 16th 1820 aged 27 years.  Also Margaret Walsh who depd this life March 20th 1819 aged 27 years. Also their father Walter Walsh Derrynahinch who depd this life December 12th 1850 aged 70 years. Also Mrs Walsh of Castle Banny who departed this life 6th day of January 1811 aged 46 years and also of her husband Patrick Walsh who departed this life the 9th day of June 1852 aged 80 years. May they rest in peace Amen.

Famma (Brownsbarn) Graveyard (Parish of Thomastown)

1. Upright stone decorated with a Gloria Scroll on the top.  Signed: Finished by William Beck of Thomastown.  Erected by Mary Murphy alias Gory of Brownsbarn in memory of her husband James Murphy who depd this life 1st June 1835 aged 57 years.  Also his daughter Bridget Murphy who departed this life August 23rd 1835 aged 26 years.

2. Erected by Richard Beck of Thomastown in memory of his wife Mary Beck alias Murphy who died 20th March 1810 (1816?) aged 33.  This does not say it was carved by Richard Beck but it probably was.  Stone not found by us so far; it has probably fallen and lies beneath the sod.  Information from previous transcriptions taken in this graveyard by Major Connellan in the late 19th or early 20th century.  Date of death for Mary is suspect as Richard and Mary had children up to 1814. Date of death is probably 1816.

Hugginstown Old Graveyard (Parish of Hugginstown)

1. Finished by Richd Beck, Thomastown. Decorated with an IHS with a cross, a Gloria Scroll, 2 ciborium, a sunburst and angels. Erected by Edmond Power of Condonstown in memory of his daughter Elenor Power who depd this life June 22nd 1838 aged 10 years. Also his  father David Power who depd this life 26th June 1814 aged 67 years.   On the back "I am dead and sleeping here"

2. Old upright stone. Signed by mason Thos Beck, Thostown on front.  Decorated with an IHS in a sunburst, a cross, lancets with ciborium and floriated.   Erected by John Millea, Milerstown in memory of his son Michael Millea who depd this life March 1st 1854 aged 26 years. Also two of his daughters Anastasia and Bridget who died young. Requiescant in Pace. On the back  "Remember man as you pass by, as you are now so once was I, as I am now so you shall be, think on death and pray for me".

Kilfane Graveyard (Parish of Tullaherin)
Two very worn stones which have fallen and are lying flat next to each other within the ruined church.  Very difficult to read.

1. Erected by James Henricken of Kilfane in memory of his daughter Elizabeth Henricken who departed this life on the 1st January 1835 aged 22. Requiescat in Pace Amen. Finished by William Beck of Thomastown.

2. Decorated with two lancet windows in upper part of stone.  Erected by John Lanigan of Kilfane in memory of his beloved wife Mary Lanigan alias Henricken depd this life Septr 19th 1853 aged 62.  Also her father James Henricken who departed this life Aug 15th 1840 aged 93 years.  Also her mother Abigail Henricken who depd this life August 10th 1844 aged 76 years. Requiescant in Pace Amen. Thos Beck. Thomastown.

Kilbride Graveyard (Parish of Glenmore)

1. Erected by Mr Edward Fleming of Newhouse in memory of his aunt Elenor Grant who depd this life Febry 24th 1853 aged 60 years.  Also his aunt Bridget Grant who depd this life Nov 11th 1861 aged 82 years. Rest in Peace. T. Beck. Thomastown.

Knocktopher Graveyard (Parish of Ballyhale)

1. Large standing stone with cross and shield.  Erected by the widow Coady alias Slattery of Earlsgrove in memory of her husband Edmund Coady died 8 June 1858 aged 60. Also his brother Patrick Coady doed July 13 1852 aged 55.  Also his daughter Bridget. She died young.  Thomas Beck, Thomastown. 
A very fine signature for Richard Beck of Thomastown on a headstone at Hugginstown





The Catholic Parish Registers for Thomastown start 23rd June 1782 for Baptisms and 1st January 1786 for Marriages.   We have been through these registers and extracted all those with the name of Beck to establish a family tree for the Beck stonemasons.   The name can be spelt Beck, Back, Baack or similar variations.  There is a strong and persistent naming pattern for males with names like Henry, Thomas, Richard, John and James appearing and re-appearing in every family branch and every generation.  The Beck family do not appear in the Tithe Applotments for Kilkenny nor in Griffiths Valuations.



William Beck, baptised 18th January 1814, who carved stones at both Famma (Brownsbarn) and Kilfane graveyards in 1835 was the son of Richard Beck of Pleberstown (just outside Thomastown) and Mary Murphy of Pleberstown.   This couple were married in Thomastown on 16th February 1806 with John Colleton, Anty Murphy and James Murphy as witnesses.  This is probably the same James Murphy who is commemorated on the stone at Famma, who died in 1835 aged 57 years and for whom William Beck carved the stone.   The other stone at Famma is erected by Richard Beck of Thomastown in memory of his wife Mary Murphy.  We have not found this stone ourselves but an earlier transcription states that Mary died in 1810 aged 33. This must be a transcription error for Mary had children baptised in 1810, 1811 and 1814.  We suspect she probably died in 1816 but as we have not seen the stone ourselves can not verify this date as yet


Richard Beck who erected the headstone at Famma to his wife Mary Murphy, married twice more.   His second wife, Mary Walsh, died after only 7 months of marriage in 1820 .   Richard Beck of Thomastown then married a third time to Mary Darcy of Mill Street.  They went on to have a family of 8 children including their son Thomas, baptised 16th Mar 1826, who also became a stonemason or cutter.  

Thomas Beck is the stone cutter who carved stones now in Kilfane (1853), Hugginstown (1854),  Knocktopher (1858 ) and Kilbride, parish of Glenmore (1861).   As a stone cutter he travelled around looking for work and that is obvious from the records we have found about him. He appears in records in New Ross, Wexford in 1853 and in Waterford in 1868.    He married a Margaret Hayden and they had a family of 7 children.  They mainly lived at Mill Street, Thomastown but also have other addresses in Kilkenny, probably as he moved around looking for work.   Sadly he died in the Workhouse on 13th October 1869 aged 42 years.

There are other branches of the Beck family in the Parish Register and they are all obviously related but the precise links predate the starting dates of the Parish Register (1782 for Baptism and 1786 for Marriages).   We have on file family trees for these other Beck families of Thomastown.

One of the most interesting members belonging to this wider Beck family is Thomas Beck of Thomastown and St John's Newfoundland, who is described as a major merchant in the Irish passenger and provision trade at the beginning of the 19th century.  All the available records state he was born in Thomastown circa 1777- 1782.  There is no relevant baptism for him in Thomastown.  He is well documented in Newfoundland where he prospered as a merchant and could certainly be regarded as upwardly mobile.  He married on 6th February 1817 in St John's Newfoundland,  Mary Duggan, the elder of two daughters of Henry Duggan, a baker and wealthy Irish merchant. Henry Duggan was a close associate with another Irishman in St John's, Thomas Meagher senior,  and his son Thomas Meagher junior, whose son Thomas Francis Meagher (1823-1867) was the Irish patriot, famously known as Meagher of the Sword.  Thomas Beck was trading for himself and had shares in schooners and a sloop from 1805 onwards but in 1818 he went into partnership with the Meaghers.  When the Meagher family returned to Waterford in Ireland, Thomas Beck was left in charge of the business and became their agent, collecting rents and managing their affairs in Newfoundland.  Although this partnership was dissolved in 1820 Thomas Beck continued to collect their rents and remit the same to Waterford. They also seemed to be operating  a ship called the Beresford until December 1822 when this ship sank in the Atlantic; they also lost a second ship off Kinsale in May and another ship in the following year.  The relationship with Thomas Beck and the Meaghers was obviously a close one as Thomas Meagher stood as sponsor at the Baptism of Thomas Beck's first son, Joseph in 1817.  
The known children of Thomas Beck and Mary Duggan (died circa 1848)  and who were baptised in the Basilica, St John's, Newfoundland were:-
1) Joseph Beck, baptised 20th November 1817. Sponsors: Thomas Meagher and Catt Duggan.
2) William Beck, baptised 13th April 1819.  Sponsors: Timothy Hogan and Mary Anderson
3) Henry Beck, baptised 6th November 1823. Sponsors: Rev. James Sinnott and Mrs Doyle. Henry died young, aged 7 years in April 1830. 

Beck's Cove in Newfoundland is named after this Thomas Beck.   He died in 1845 in Newfoundland.

This is ongoing research and the above is only a taster of the family history we have found so far.  We are in the process of writing up a more detailed study of these various Beck families for eventual printed publication.

Advert for the Brig Beresford sailing for Waterford on 25th June 1818 from Newfoundland.











Saturday, 16 March 2019

Alice Comerford (1844-1939) Kilmoganny

Paul McNulty of University College, Dublin is seeking contact with or information about any family, cousins, descendants of Alice Comerford (1844-1939) of Kilmoganny.  She went out to Melbourne, Australia.  Her son was the war hero Father Ignatius Bossence, (1886-1969).  We have found no Comerford in the Kilmoganny RC graveyard.   If any of our readers knows about Alice and her Comerford family and can help Paul McNulty please contact him on paul.mcnulty@ucd.ie. The information is for a book he is writing.  There is apparently a legacy which is still intact.
Perhaps someone out there will know about this lady and her family. Many thanks.

Sunday, 17 February 2019

Two Duggan ladies from Kilkenny in Belgium

We have just found some information about two Duggan ladies from Kilkenny who went to live in Belgium.  One of these ladies was born in 1824 and the other one born in 1856; they might be related but we are unsure about this.  We found the information about these ladies on memorial cards produced in Belgium; one card is in Flemish and the other in French.  The Belgians produced these memorial cards after the death of a loved one, much as was done in Ireland.   They are of a size to fit into a prayer book and they usually ask you to remember the person being commemorated in your prayers.    They are also quite informative about the deceased person.  The first card we will look at commemorates Mary Duggan born in Kilkenny on 21st November 1856 and who became a nun in Belgium.  We are lucky that this card has a photograph of Mary Duggan.
Mary Duggan, born in Kilkenny 21st November 1856.  This is the front of the memorial card.


The back of the memorial card has a lot of information about Mary Duggan.  It says she entered the convent of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary at Ghent, Belgium, on 29th September 1900 and made her profession there on 10th December 1901.  She was known as Soeur Marie de l'Annonciation. She was nominated as Superior at Holly Mount convent in Tottington, Bury, Lancashire 20th August 1902.  She died at Courtrai, Belgium on 22nd July 1931.  The card has a number of prayers both in Latin and in French.

It was very easy to check in the Parish Registers for St Patrick's Kilkenny.  Mary was baptised on the 22nd November 1856 as Mary Anne; her father was Matthew Duggan and her mother was Margaret Brennan.of Walk(in) Street.  Her sponsors were Thomas Kennedy and Joanna Brennan.  Mary was 44 years old when she entered the convent in Ghent which seems unusually old.  There must have been a reason for this delay which we do not know.  But having taken her vows she made rapid progress to a position of authority in the order.  She was a remarkable woman as she was awarded both an OBE and the Belgian Queen Elizabeth Medal for her war work during World War 1.  Her memorial card says she became the Superior of the convent in Tottington in England in 1902. This building had started out in 1860 as a College for Young Gentlemen but closed in 1885,  In 1888 it was re-opened by the Belgian Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary as a Convent and Poor School; it was officially known as the Catholic Home of Rest for Orphans..  This Belgian order had been founded in Ghent in 1803 with the aim of devoting itself to nursing care and education.  In 1897 the convent at Tottington cared for 216 girls aged between 4-13 years; the local Board of Guardians paid 5/- a week for each child. In 1905, when Mary Duggan was the Superior or Reverend Mother, the convent was caring for 258 children. The girls were taught sewing, lace making, knitting, dressmaking, embroidery, crochet work, baking and jam making.  By 1930 the number of children cared for had risen to 300 girls aged between 3-16 years.
During the war the convent became a military hospital, one of the many across Lancashire.  In total the convent, under the care of Reverend Mother Duggan, cared for 1,300 wounded, including British, Canadian, New Zealanders, Australian and Belgian soldiers and taking in refugees from Belgium.  After the War she was awarded the OBE (Order of the British Empire); this award was listed in The London Gazette 30th March 1920.  Reverend Mother Duggan was also awarded the Queen Elizabeth Medal.  This is a Belgian decoration created in 1916 by Leopold, King of the Belgians.  The purpose of the Medal was to recognise exceptional services to Belgium in the relief of  the suffering of its citizens during the First World War.  This medal was awarded to Belgian and foreign doctors and to nurses.
See www.lancashireatwar.co.uk/hollymount/4590342626 for a picture of Reverend Mother Duggan surrounded by the wounded Belgian soldiers she had been caring for; the Belgian soldiers are all named. The title of the photograph is Hollymount Wounded Soldiers 1914.


The second memorial or prayer card is for Anna Maria Duggan who was born in Kilkenny 24th July 1824.  She died in Mechelen (Malines in French) on 20th March 1900.  This card is in Flemish and has no photograph of the deceased.   It says "Pray for the Soul of the late Miss Anna Maria Duggan, a member of the Third Order of St Francis, born in Kilkenny (Ireland) 24th July 1824, piously fell asleep in the Lord at Mechelen, the 20th March 1900, fortified by the Last Sacraments".  This is followed by a quotation from the Bible, a prayer for the deceased and indulgences for 100 days and 300 days.   Sadly we do not know exactly who this Anna Maria is; if she fits into your family tree we would love to know.
Memorial card in Flemish for Miss Anna Maria Duggan who died in 1900. 

  



Monday, 28 January 2019

Rathbeagh, Parish of Lisdowney,county Kilkenny


Rathbeagh, Parish of Lisdowney, Co Kilkenny. 
The Church and Graveyard

Rathbeagh is listed in the General Alphabetical Index to the Townlands, Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland (1861), as The Parish of Rathbeagh in the county of Kilkenny, the Barony of Galmoy and the Poor Law Union of Urlingford in 1857. The Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (Lewis, 1837) stated that Rathbeagh had 736 inhabitants and about 220 children being taught in the School in Clone. At that time it comprised 2281 statute acres mostly all in profitable cultivation. It also records that the manor house within this parish and formerly the residence of Sir Toby Caulfeild, was occupied by H.Nixon Esq., There is no memorial to any Nixon family in this graveyard.
We would like to thank Michael O Gorman of Rathbeagh for all his assistance and kindness to us while we were surveying this graveyard.We would also like to thank Marie Lee for the Black and White Photographs and Pat Farrell for allowing us to use his two Ariel Photographs.







The church is dedicated to St Catherine.  There was once a well south of the church near the river Nore, called St.Catherine's well, but it has long since disappeared. There is evidence of a much earlier Monastic site or Nunnery that pre dates the Anglo Norman settlement.  A church bell was found in a sandpit close by and was handed on to the church at Killishin, Queens county (Laois).  A Mass book was buried in an adjacent field;  In Irish this field is called Poll an Leabhar meaning the hole of the book.  There are two gated entrances to this lovely Church and graveyard nestled in a triangular piece of land with through roads each side and no sign posting whatever to announce this site.

Church and Graveyard Rathbeagh compliments of patfarrellphotography@eircom.net



A fair held in Rathbeagh up to about the 1860s, had amongst other trading, the principle event of  showing Shire Horses from Wexford, Tipperary and Queens county  (Schools Folklore Recording, 1938 see www.duchas.ie).  The location of this fair is also remembered in the recording of the Fieldnames project; the Night Field remembers the animals penned here the night before the fair and the name the Fair Green while appearing on earlier maps is not evident after 1860.  For more information about this field name project around Rathbeagh see the following short film:-
The Whispering Fields

The Rath from which Rathbeagh gets its name is no distance from the Church and the graveyard. It is situated on the bank of a right angled bend of the river Nore and commands a view over the landscape and the waters.  According to Carrigan the analysts believed it was erected by "Heremon son of King Milesius of Spain and was selected by him to be his last resting place".  Heremon and his brother Heber from whom many of the Irish are supposed to descend, fought a huge battle as Geashill in Offaly at which Heber was killed.  Heremon then came south to Rathbeagh and built his royal residence there.  You will notice that the Rath is an unusual shape, not round like most of them but shaped like an egg.  It is easily visible from the road when approaching the graveyard.   The custom of cutting a branch of a may bush on May's Eve and decorating it with ribbons and flowers was thought to welcome the seasonal change from Spring to Summer.  According to local traditions this was done in honour of the Milesians who conquered the Tuatha de Danans in the early Bronze Age.  (The Schools Folklore Recording 1938. see www.duchas.ie/Dunnammaggan).

We are most grateful to Patfarrellphotography@eircom.net for allowing us to use these two ariel images 

 

Within the graveyard, there are at least 66 visible markers or boulders which are used as grave markers. There are two iron crosses in the graveyard but sadly neither of these records the names of the people commemorated nor the blacksmith that made them (Nos 20 and 98). There are at least 10 Altar or Court tombs; there may have been more as some interesting broken stones have been used in the graveyard as markers.
Of the 199 memorials recorded, the earliest a broken Purcell memorial appears to date from the late 16th century; there is one broken Purcell memorial dating from the beginning of the 17th century; at least 20 memorials that appear to have been erected in the 18th century and 35 memorials erected between 1800 - 1850.  Many memorial had sunk into the ground so recording dates or some detail has not always been possible. We have compiled a detailed map showing the locations of all memorials. We recorded the Iconography and Symbolism decorating the stones and we made a list of the masons.
We also made rubbings of the most decorative stones.


Our completed survey of every stone in the graveyard enabled us to link on paper two parts of the one stone that had become separated with one half used as a marker on another grave. There are 13 stones in this graveyard to the Phelan family but two separate damaged Phelan stones are evidently part of the one stone.  No 115. Old upright facing west (not east like the rest of the stones) broken down left side and possibly some of right side missing also. IHS. In memory of Miss....young lady of man....She died Dec the 15th (no year visible)...of her age. See also stone No 174 which is part of broken stone. More complete stone "In memory of Miss Anastasia Phelan...a young lady of Man(ners) and amiable qualities who (per)ish(ed) in her 18th...."The broken part was re-used as a marker, the style of carving of the lettering is the same.




There are two Phelan brothers, both Priests commemorated on a collapsed altar tomb (No 157) just outside the ruined Church. We have recorded this memorial. "Flat  stone on ground IHS at top. Here lie interred the bodies of the Reverend Messrs William and Patrick Phelan, Brothers. The said Patrick departed this life the 4th day of June 1782 aged 25 years and William the 20th of September following in the 29th years of his age being Worthy Pious and Exemplary Priests, May They Rest in  Peace Amen.


We recorded other memorials to local clergy:-
No 36.  Reverend William Gorman Obit Marti imo Anni 1833 Aetatis 48; this stone has an extensive inscription  in Latin
No 40. Collapsed Altar tomb to the Revd Richard Butler Parish Priest of Lisdowney for 11 years who departed this life on the 23rd day of October 1828 in his 60th year.
No 153.  Erected by The Rev. Michael Byrne C C, Danbury USA in memory of his father John Byrne who died March 30 1879 aged 65 years.

Knaresborough:- there is one memorial erected to the Knaresboro family
No 38. Upright Lamb of God symbol in trefoil. In memory of Patrick Knaresboro of Inchbeg who depd this life March 9th 1853 aged 57.  His son Patrick who died March 22th 1864 aged 18 years. Also his wife Mary Knaresboro who died 1st June 1876 aged 72 years, R.I.P. This stone has beautifully carved lettering.
At one time the Knaresborough family had been one of the civic families of Kilkenny City.  Whilst we do not know the precise connections of this family with the civic family, according to the  records we have managed to find that this particular family was from Coolcraheen, Inchbeg and were renting 26 acres in 1826. The family now seems to have disappeared from the parish.
 
Tomb 190 The Honourable Collonel Toby Caulfeild 

Tomb 190.  Here leith the body of the Honourable Collonel Toby Caulfeild second son of the Right Honourable Wiliam late Viscount Charlemont who departed this life on ye 25th day June in the year of Our Lord 1718 at his mansion house of Clone about ye 55th year of his age. He purchased the Manner of Clone, rebuilded this Church mostly at his own expence and was the first of his family buried therien when it was finished. This stone Ledger slab top within the Church is positioned in the corner, left of where the original Altar was positioned under the East window.

East Window from within the Church
Immediately underneath the East Window
Tomb 191 was an elaborate Caulfeild Memorial Eulogy.  This stone is flat and suffering from exposure to the elements. The inscription is almost worn away.  It took hours of careful work to decipher the eulogy which is listed below.   Like many of the older stones in this graveyard the inscriptions are fading and in decay.  The eulogy would be typical of its time

Who eer thou art that views these scenes of Trials
And stand a while here like thou hath breath
Approach this tomb raised by pious hands
The tribute of your plentious tears demands
For Strange emotions at this stone are laid
A Father Mother and Husband dead
But let your sorrow hope, but not for those
Their peace within this silent tomb reprove
But that sadness in compliance imposed
They lived to rest here dearest friends laid low
And while for..........................your sighs
Attend this truth that they thou self shall die
Behold the brave the strong the rich the great
The wise the good are stricken by a stroke of fate
Behold alas.................................complain
A Caulfeild .......here beloved remains
Then thou who now until death provide
Convinced.........which now dies
                   August 1718

Memorial No 193 is still visible in the ruined church and is erected to Toby Caulfeild's daughter Mrs Olivia Warren 2nd daughter of the Late Honble Toby Caulfeild of Clone was relict of Abel Warren of Low Hill she departed  this life the 3rd or 5th of May 1789 aged 90?


Mary Foley Alias Murphy 1782: wonderful sharp carving and notice the ciboria on either side of the top of the stone. 



We were very pleased to see within this graveyard a memorial to the lost young, the ciall òg, the single most heart breaking issue for many families. With a very thoughtfully chosen sentiment, a set aside space with a seat in this beautiful peaceful graveyard.





Index of family names with grave number

Arme 77
Bergin 7
Blanchfield 106, 107, 108, 109, 168
Bowden 133, 170, 171
Bowe 21
Bowes 50, 125
Brennan 21, 48, 74, 144, 189
Butler 22, 23, 40, 51, 168
Byrne 152, 153
Casey 125
Cahill 39, 80, 114, 161, 188, 189
Campion 8, 9, 34, 69, 170, 111              
Cantwell 37
View through side entrance North wall
Caulfeild 190, 193
Charlemont 190
Cody 135
Corbett 125
Crosby 12
Cudhahy 44
Cuddihy 44, 147, 148
Dalton 39, 44
Delaney 39, 42
Doheny 126
Dooley 119
Doran 126
Dowling 112
Downey 47, 147, 148
Drennan 67
Dullard 152
Dunn 124
Dunne 15, 16, 29, 184
Dunphy 16 42, 44
Egan 13
Fannin 132
Fennelly 102
Fogarty 43
Foley 87, 88
Foly 92
Gorman 36
Grace 46, 120, 121
Green 199
Greene 79
Hamilton 73
Hanlon 104                     
Harpole 199
Hayes 29
Headon 120
Healy 13, 14, 57, 97, 112, 171
Hearn 85
Hely 58, 113
Hetherington 18, 19
Holohan 89
Johnson 63
Kavanagh 51
Keasey 128
Keiravan 92
Kelly 50
Kennedy 71
Kirwan 33
Knaresboro 38
Lalor 39, 152
Loughman 23
McEvoy 14
McGrath 17
Maher 22
Mansfield 57, 59, 66
Martin 39, 181
Marum 133
Mercier 159
Mulhall 112
Murphy 33, 87, 88
Mylan 55
Nolan 1, 181
O`Gorman 74, 75
O`Keeffe 18, 19, 33, 47
Palmer 59
Pheland 41, 107, 110, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 151(see also 174), 157, 181, 194
Power 23, 133
Purcell 98, 111, 117, 143,145, 162, 164,  192, 196, 197, 198, 199
Purtill 136
Quidihy149, 155
Quinlan 89                                                                                           
Quinn 77
Reade 28
Ryan 16, 68, 128, 132, 133, 172,173
Shee 169
Stannard 194
Stapleton 27, 37
Trait 63
Looking East standing at the North side of Church
Tynan 106, 140, 141           
Wall 27
Walsh 67, 104, 124, 180
Walshe 61, 63
Warren 193
White 136, 137

Index of Places recorded on the memorials
America 37
Ballynafension 48
Bally(...) 195
Ballylarkin 57, 152
Ballyouskill 16
Ballyphilip 22
Ballyragget 74, 75
Bawnmore 67
Blackwood 2, 7, 15, 16, 42, 43, 147, 149, 161, 181, 184
Boherglass 12
Cascade Road 19
Cleary St 22
Clinstown 164
Clone 190, 192, 193, 197, 198
Clontubrid 171
Crohill Lodge 23
Crowhill 55
Cullohill 189
Danbury 153            
Deansforth 141
Foulksrath 199
Foulkswrath 172
Freshford 12, 18, 19, 21, 22, 68, 71, 136,161, 169
Garnamanna 14, 68, 97, 112
Georges Street 173
Grange 194
Inchbeg 33, 38, 73
Inchicore 9, 71
Jenkinstown 34
Kilkenny 41, 98, 114
Killaloe 159
Kilmacar 23
Knocknamuck 44
Knockroe 197,198
Lisdowney 40, 102, 198
Lismain 47, 198
Lismaine 188
Lismeane 117
Lowhill 193
Mill St 18
Mounieh/Moumielin 28
Mullinavat 69
Nantucket 22
Noreview 71
Oldtown 134, 189
Philadelphia 144
Queens Co., 48
Rathbeagh 29, 37, 61, 63, 74, 75, 120, 121, 133 
Rathealy 44
Shrewel 199
Skinstown 168
Smithstown 69
The Square 68
Thomas Square 98
Three Castles 8
Tullaroan 44
Tullowglass 34
USA 22, 153

Index of masons who have signed their stones

Coffey,  Ballyragget 27
Kavanagh's of Gorey 70
Gabriel Thorpe, Ableix (Abbeyleix) 48
Gargan Kilkenny 4, 41
McDonnell, Templemore 12
Molloy, Callan & Tullaroan12
Molloy, Tullaroan 21
Mullan 29, 34, 47, 74, 75
Mullan and Sons,
Three Castles 8
Mullan,Kilkenny

List of Occupations or titles as recorded on the memorials

Bart (Baronet 199     
CC (Curate) 153
Collonel (sic) 190
Parish Priest 36
Reverend/Rev. 36,40, 153, 157 (x2) 196
Sterling Patriot 23

Memorials marked with initials only

N+C, 26


Rathbeagh Church in its decay