Saturday, 24 August 2019

Tifeaghna Co Kilkenny in the Barony of Galmoy, the Parish of Sheffin and the Poor Law Union of Urlingford.


This beautifully cared for graveyard is in the Catholic Parish of Lisdowney and in the old Parish of Sheffin.  Carrigan (1904) states this was called Theghfegre in a 1526 document  but appears in 1621, 1637 and 1641 as Tafeaghrae or Tafeaghny or Tyfeaghrae.  In the Down Survey of 1655 it appears as Tifeighny.  In all cases it translates from the Irish as the House or Church of Fiachra or St Fiachra.  It may have been the original Parish Church of Sheffin.  However not a single stone is evident of the ancient church that once stood here. 
From Patricks Journey into Ossory "a visit was paid by Pulcherius, Canice,  Molua, and Mofecta or Feachtna to Mocumb, at the church of Tifeachna. A monk named Macumb is later attributed as being the founder of  the Church of Grange Macumb on the banks of the Nore, near Ballyraggett.   These saints having tarrried at Tifeaghna a while before parting with their friend, placed each, a stone one above the other to commemorate their meeting and later at Tifeaghna, on the western side of the churchyard, a pyramidal - shaped monument, built of small truncated cones, placed loosely one on top of the other; they are probably the memorials referred to in the aforesaid chapter".   There is now no sign at all of this pyramid.
Near Tifeaghna another old church-site Clontubrid, is identified with Feachtna.  Cluain Tiobrait...a holy well over which is built a very ancient structure called Tobar na Drui, "The Well of the Sage".  Canon Carrigan refers to this well as Tobar a "dhithreabhaigh" "The Well of the Hermit".
Fiachra was known as the Hermit.  Saint Fiachra born about 590 A.D. was originally a native of north west Connaught and ordained a priest there.  He sought solace and isolation as a hermit at Ullard Graiguenamanagh, and Kilfera near Kilkenny.  Kilfera was the church with which he was connected before he left Ireland for Gaul. 

In surveying this graveyard we first made a map and we recorded 128 memorials overall.  One memorial, No 38 is a small broken headstone decorated with an IHS.  It is exquisitively carved. This stone was recently dug up out of another grave that was being prepared for a new burial.  The inscription reads "Here lyeth ye body of Thomas Hollant who departed this life...." (rest buried).  The caretaker, who was mowing the grass whilst we were there, told us the approximate date on the stone was 1741.
The graveyard has a very large number of 18th century memorials.  There are three erected pre-1750 bearing the dates 1722, 1741, and 1741 respectively.  These earliest stones appear to be cut in red sandstone. There are 25 memorials bearing dates between 1750 - 1799  (1752, 1758, 1771x2, 1772, 1774, 1776x2, 1772x2, 1778, 1779, 1782, 1788x3, 1787, 1789, 1790, 1794, 1795x2, 1796, 1797x2).  In addition there are 29 early 19th century memorials erected between 1800 - 1849, (1806,1807,1808x3, 1810x2, 1811x3, 1812, 1814, 1815, 1816x2, 1819, 1821x2, 1827, 1829, 1830, 1832, 1836, 1837x2, 1839. 1843. These 19th century memorials are predominantly cut in Kilkenny limestone. There is a Killeen, a burial place for children within the graveyard, and as was the case, strangers to the area and people without means were likely to be also interred in the North side of the graveyard.

Table tomb of Mr John and Patrick Lewis right corner inside gate 1828 and 1829
 "they possessed qualities useful and likeable being sound, friendly,  charitable and honest and generous to the poor"

          Double headed stone of Patrick Loughman and his wife Mary Loughman Alias Walsh

Seated area in the shelter of an Ash tree

There are at least four stones with memorial poems or verses on them.
Memorial No 94 which is an old upright stone decorated with a  Gloria In Excelsus Deo in a scroll and 2 side Ciboria was erected by Michael Doran in memory of his father William who departed this life December 4th 1787 aged 55 years. This little verse is not one we came across before " Die we must without control, Lord have mercy on me soul"
Memorial No 68
On the Tomb of Mary Fitzpatrick alias Campion 5th June 1788 aged 36 years and her son Timothy Fitzpatrick 15th Janry 1793 aged 19 yrs.
Stand here my friends, wipe off your tears, here we be till Christ appears, when he comes we hope to rise  (uable to read last line would have read).... Into a life that never dies.

Memorial No 106
Memory bells are ringing, ringing
In the distance far away
Do you hear them singing, singing,
Do you hear them singing, singing,

Do you hear their mellow rhyming
Do you hear the clear sweet story
Of your childhood's far off glory
Do they take you back to years

Clouded by no haunting fears
When your path was strewn with flowers
When a rainbow arched your sky
And when faith stood smiling.

Researching this verse Mary found what seems to be an abreviated version of Memory Bells , in the Journal of Education for Ontario Vols 27/28 Page 186, 1874.   No author attributed to it, ( see below for more details about this very interesting stone).

The Iconography across the graveyard is representative of a general trend within Kilkenny, where the Christogram, the IHS, appears in a central position with a cross resting on the bar of the H, and usually within a Corona Radiata also called a Sunburst, at the top of the stone  Underneath the Corona Radiata is usually a scroll or ribbon with Gloria In Excelsus Deo written in it.  On either side of this are Ciboria (which resembles a lidded Chalice with a cross) depicted within a Lancet window shape.  The carving on this fragment below of a very early headstone, is by a skilled carver but we did not find the remaining pieces. Angel faces with wings can appear on the top of the stones and represent the departing soul.

Pensive Angel finger to her lips suggesting words less said

At Tigfeachna the public road wraps around the graveyard on three sides

Old Forged Gate with novel closing strategy which works

Revd. Thomas Doran
Table Tomb No 49 above reads-

Sacred to the memory of Revd Thomas
Doran,  Tintore, who had been....
Curate of the Parishes ...., Castlecomer
and  Callan in the last of which he closed his Mission
Called forever the piety and Ardent zeal
The brilliant ....accomplishment of
Amiable young clergy....his mind
.....opportunity of..
...were the..
Shining light in the Church the bloom of Sanctity 7th June 1831 aged 30 years
In him were
...word of the..
Holy the midst of
..and as the sun...when..
It shines so did he shine in the example of God
Requiescat in Pace

McEvoy Headstone

 Memorial  No 53 reads:-

           Erected by Edward McEvoy in memory of his father Edward McEvoy who has been here interred. He died Sept 16th 1815 aged 78 years.  Also his mother Bridget McEvoy alias Hoyne died Nov 1st 1832 aged 70.  Also his brother Michael died Nov 1st 1836 aged 28.   Also Bridget Brown who was lost on her way to America aged 22 in the ill fated Atlantic April 1 1873.  Requeiscant in Pace Amen". 
      Bridget Brown  was lost on her way to America in the disaster of  the SS Atlantic.   Built in 1871 by Harland and Wollf, Belfast for the White Star Line.  The Atlantic was on its 19th voyage across the Atlantic; she departed Liverpool on 20th March, via Queenstown, Ireland and was bound for New York.  The voyage was rough and the ship was diverted to Halifax, Nova Scotia to take on more coal; Instead of Halifax though, she was off course by about 20 kilometers and smashed into rocks at full speed and ran aground near the fishing community of Prospect Hill, Nova Scotia.  There were 975 people on board. Over 550 perished including all the women and all the children bar one boy who was rescued.  The bodies not claimed by relatives were buried in the village of Terence Bay (277 in the Anglican St Paul’s Cemetery and 150 in the RC Star of the Sea Cemetery). This was the biggest ship wreck in Nova Scotia history and the second biggest in Canadian history. It was the worst disaster for the White Star Line until the sinking of the Titanic.  Bridget Mary Brown is listed as a Steerage passenger; another Kilkenny girl is also named amongst the victims:- Ann Cleary from near Mount Loftus but we have not been able to identify her.  All the single women and children were sleeping in the part of the ship that was very quickly submerged under the water. Recovery of the bodies and their burial took weeks to complete. See which is part of the SS Atlantic Society, established in 1998 by the citizens of Terence Bay and Lower Prospect.  There is also an SS Atlantic Heritage Park and small museum. Artifacts from the wreck can be seen here or at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  See also on You tube the SS Atlantic Sinking in Real Time Documentary.  The ship sunk in less than half an hour. 
      Bridget Brown was the granddaughter of Edward McEvoy (1737-1815) and Bridget Hoyne  circa 1766-1832) who are recorded on the headstone.   Bridget Browwn was the daughter of John Brown of Upper Patrick's Street Kilkenny and of Bridget McEvoy, daughter of the above couple.   Bridget was the sixth child born to John  Brown and Bridget McEvoy but she was not 22 years old when she drowned but 32 yrs (St Patrick's Parish Bridget Brown baptised 3rd June 1840).   The family were not affluent and her father is described in documentation as a labourer.  Her brother John, also of Patrick's Street , Kilkenny was a car man and labourer and illiterate.  There are no headstones to the Brown family in St Patrick's Kilkenny.  Her brother John and his wife Ellen Cantwell had a little girl whom they baptised Bridget on 17th December 1873, eight months after the sinking of the SS Atlantic and named obviously after his sister Bridget.

Graveyards a haven for  nature
      Memorial No 19
      Beneath are interred the remains of Mr John and Mary Coyne late of Urlingford. The former died 27th June 1807 in the 55th year of his age. The latter his fond wife on the 22nd of November 1844 in the 85th year of her age, and the 38th year of her faithful widowhood.   Beloved respected by her children, grandchildren, and friends and aquaintances and more particurlarly by the poor.  May they rest in Peace Amen.

Brodrick Memorial no 106
Memorial  No 106 reads:-

     Large kerbed plot with 2 upright stones; Left hand stone (106) is a small upright.  Erected by Sergt Patrick Brodrick (sic) late of the 2nd Regt Bombay E. Lt I, E L co S, in grateful remembrance of his beloved wife Sarah Brodrick alias Kelly who died February 9th 1871 aged 72 years. A good daughter and faithful and loving wife. May her souls rest in peace.  Memory Bells ringing, ringing in the distance far away, singing, singing, Will you tell me what they say PB.  Also her father Thos Kelly is here interred aged 80 years. 
    A Google search for Sergt Patrick Brodrick brought up the following information from a short article and photos in History Ireland (Jan/Feb 2015 Vol 7 23) under title An Indian veteran’s musket.  The musket has the following inscription engraved on a brass plate: 2nd by En Lt Infy. EIC. Gnl No 36. No 6 Company. Sergt PK Broderick(sic). This fusil was on field service in the campaigns of 1844 and 1845 in the Southern Mahatta Country,  Samanghut 13 Oct 1844, Capture of Botherchur 5th Nov, Punnella Ghur 1 Dec 1844, Capture of Rangnah 12 Dec 44, attack on Sussedroogh 12 Dec 44, Descent of the Suspension Ladder to the Fort of Monchar, down the Elephant rock at the Hunmunt Ghat 17 Jan 1845.  Cleared the Stockades from the Top of the Chauts on the Vingorla Rd 10 Feb 1845.  This piece presented by Capt C.T. Aikchinson 8 Oct 1853. St of the Bombay European Regiment.  This is a muzzle loaded musket  and has a bullet lodged in the musket that saved his life.   Broderick donated the musket to the National Museum in 1890. The Bombay European Regiment was renamed the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in 1881. 

      Memorial  no 107,  sharing the same Kerbed plot with the above No 106

       In loving memory of James O`Donnell Bohergloss died 2nd Mar 1954 aged 80 yrsHis wife  Joanna died 31st May 1953 aged 77 yrs.  Their daughters Catherine died 27th May 1953 aged 37 yrs.   Brigid died 1920 aged 18yrs.  Mossie died 1926 aged 14 yrs, Julia died 10th Dec 1991 aged 76 yrs.  Their son Patrick died 16th July 1992 aged 85 yrs.  Also their grandsons and granddaughters.   Erected by their Grandson Edward O`Donnell.

Butterfly visiting a rose at the wall Plaque that remembers the Dooley Family Coolcashin Gathabawn
Index of Names

Asser 121
Bergin 118      
Birch 124
Bowden 16
Broderick 120
Brodrick 8, 25, 46, 106
Brown 51
Byrn 81
Cahill 88, 92
Camption 10, 11, 12, 30, 31,76, 82, 83, 87, 95, 96, 100, 102
Carey 98
Cashin   57
Corragan 74
Costigan 55, 78, 79, 118
Coyne 19, 20, 21, 52, 72
Cuddihy 112, 121, 122, 123
Cullanan 77
Cummins 39
Dalton 32
Deegan 69
Doheny 117
Dooley 4
Doran 49, 56, 57, 93, 94
Dowling 86, 108, 125
Duggan 62
Dunphy 21, 47
Egan 82
Fitzpatrick 11, 41, 43, 44, 45, 63, 66, 67
Foley 70
Gorman 67
Grace 21, 86
Gregg 91    
Harney 102
Hartford 91
Hayde 73
Hayes 12
Healy 25, 90
Hickey 78
Holehan 15
Holohan 98
Hollant 38
Hoyne 51, 71, 72
Joice 126
Jordan33, 37
Jourdan 36
Joyce 127
Kealy 20, 52, 53
Kelly 106
Kennedy 117
Kerwick 92, 126
Lalor 90, 93
Lewis 7, 9, 63
Loughman 13, 22, 23, 24
McAboy 81
McDaniel 82
Macevoy 51
Maher 71
Monahan 128
Mulhall 104
Mulrooney 102
Murphy 87, 127
Neary 124
O 'Donnell 107
O 'Hara 36
O 'Hare 33
O 'Toole 69
Phelan 10, 24, 25, 79, 86 101
Phillips 97
Purcell 17 18 29
Quirke 58, 75
Roberts 118
Ronan 16
Ryan 17, 77, 89, 91, 116, 125
Shortall 60, 61
Skehan 48
Slattery 28, 39, 65
Staunton 65
Straham 96
Sweeeney 104
Travers 122
Wade 121
Walsh 13, 22, 32
Walshe 92
Wellwood 91
White 57
Woodward 128

Index of Placenames on the Memorials

America 51
Baliel 7
Balleen 20, 21, 39, 102, 117
Ballough 74
Ballyconnley 10
Ballycoony 48
Ballygoony 89, 90
Ballykealy 100
Ballyspellan 24
Barna 73
Belfast 43
Bohergloss 29, 107
Bombay 106
Callan 49
Castlecomer 49, 66
Clomantagh 73
Clone 32
Clontubrid 30
Coolcashin 4, 118, 128
England 121
Foyle 18, 97
Foyle Bridge 28
Frankfort 17
Freshford 29, 33, 65, 69, 116
Garnagale 83 (Carnagale?)
Garrydague 67
Gathabawn 4, 17, 18, 25
Goologue 11
Gurtnamuck 60, 61
Kilcommon 17
Lodge 93. 101
Lodge Park 72, 122
Lodgepark 69
London 122
Loughstown78, 79
Lowheney 82
Lr (Lower) Tubrid 104
Newtown Hill 15
St Malachys College 43
Rathbeagh 92
Rathdowney 43
Spaw 8
Tentore 8
Threecastle 77
Tifeaghna 86, 108, 121, 123
Tifeaghna 31
Tiffeighne 46
Tinniscarthy 119
Tinniscarthy 53
Tintore 49
Upperchurch 17
Urlingford 19, 69
USA 43

List of Mason who have signed stornes

Coffey, Ballyragget 98
Coffey and Son Ballyragget 101
Gargan Kilkenny 72
Hoban,  Kilkenny 25, 67
Houlihan, Rathdowney 43
Mullan 17
Mullan, Kilkenny 118,119, 121, 122, 123, 128
O ' Keeffe Kilkenny 61
J. Ryan Freshford 52

Occupations noted on the Memorials

Capt  (Kilkenny Brigade, IRA),  90
Curate 49
Professor 43
Revd 43, 49, 72
Sergt 106 (2nd Regt Bombay European light Infantry)

Memorials with Eulogies

7, 19, 49

Memorials with Poems

68, 94, 96,106

Sunday, 4 August 2019

Grangemacomb Graveyard, Parish of Lisdowney, county Kilkenny

Carrigan (1904) states that the civil parish of Grangemacomb is in a union of three ancient parishes:- Ardaloo, Kilcoman and Grangemacomb.  Of these Ardaloo belonged to the Priory of Kells in Kilkenny, Kilcolman, also called Conahy, belonged to the Abbey of St Thomas, Dublin,  and Grangemacomb which consisted of the townlands of Grange, Lisduff and Oldtown, which belonged to the Abbey of Jerpoint in Kilkenny.
This is a tiny graveyard accessed via a farmer's operational farmyard and his pasture for animals.(Thank you to the farmer for kindly allowing us this access).  The graveyard, which has both Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland burials, is on private land and definitely not visible from the road. Crossing a field there is a walled enclosure and within is one wall, a west wall, of a ruined medieval church still standing. Carrigan records that more church ruins were standing as late as 1847 but the remaining walls were taken down to make way for a new vault for the Stannard-Lanigan family, the local landlord family.  Within the walled graveyard is a wonderful oval shaped private burial area for the Stannard-Lanigan family which is situated exactly where the east window and altar of the now demolished church would have stood.  This private burial area is surrounded by beautiful cast iron railings with an arched gate allowing access to this private area.  The iron railings are of extremely high quality and standard but they have not been painted for many, many years. Try as we could, we were totally unable to find any makers mark or signature on the railing. We suspect they were probably made in Dublin.

In all there were only 18 memorials visible. Memorials 1-7 are within the private burial area and relate to the Stannard-Lanigan family and its extended family members.  Memorial No 8, outside the railed enclosure is also erected to a member of the Stannard family.
A magnificent and very imposing coffin shaped memorial on three raised plinths over the Stannard-Lanigan burial vault, Note the huge clawed feet, complete with nails, which stand on the four corners supporting the memorial.  This particular memorial is to William Stannard (died 13th June 1855),  Ellen Stannard, his widow (died 12th Oct 1875) and Lt Col Henry Stannard (died 1st May 1904).

The Stannard-Lanigan family is of huge interest. This particular line of the Lanigan family buried in Grangemacomb,  assumed the name of Stannard sometime in the 18th century but had converted to the Church of Ireland prior to that earlier in the 18th century.  This Lanigan family is originally from Cloonygoose in county Tipperary which is close to the Kilkenny town of Callan and they appear in deeds and marriage licences as early as 1720s. They can be found around the Callan area in places such as Ballykeefe and the parish  of Kilmanagh.  At least two members of the Protestant line from Grangemacomb can be found as Freemen in the City of Waterford in the 18th century,  The Catholic line is also of great interest marrying into the Fogartys of Castle Fogarty in Tipperary and also into the Catholic family of Ryan of Inch, Tipperary. The Catholic lines were responsible for at least two parish priests and James Lanigan, Bishop Lanigan, the RC Bishop of Ossory from 1789-1812, an extremely erudite man. We have now acquired a great amount of material about these Lanigan families and are compiling detailed family trees.  Edward MacLysaght (former Chief Herald of Ireland) states that the name Lanigan is mainly to be found in county Kilkenny.  Lanigan can be spelt in a variety of ways:- Lannigan, Lenigan, Lanegane etc.,
We are grateful to Michael O'Dwyer, former Hon Librarian of the Kilkenny Archaeological Society for bringing to our attention a newspaper report  on the death and burial at Grangemacomb of Robert Stannard Esq.,(The Kilkenny Moderator January 31st 1894)
This is a small vernacular memorial probably carved by the father for his daughter. Note the spelling of DAGHTER and the uneven lettering and uncertain spelling.   The letters "y" have a wonderful flourish to them and curly tails. . The stone is broken in the top left hand corner, but the piece was lying on the ground nearby.  It reads "Here lyeth ye body of Antis Bergin  who depd (departed) July ye 5th 1754 aged 15 yers.  Daghter to John Bergin".  Note also the attempt at decoration on the stone with a fine crucifix within a sunburst or corona at the top,  and the addition of two faces on either side of the cross. Are these attempts at the faces of Antis and her father John Bergin?  Further down in the centre of the stone is a large skull but in addition there is another small skull complete with teeth under the date 1754. There is also a cross at the end of this line.  Here is a memorial carved with grieving affection for a young  daughter with the father putting on the stone absolutely everything he could think of to remember his child.  This is the oldest surviving memorial in the graveyard and might be described as "folk art".

Names appearing on the memorials 
Bancroft 7
Bergin 13
Bollard 16
Brennan 17
Dowdall 1, 2
Edie 2
Eyre 4
Gallwey 4
Healy 9
Keating 17
McGrath 18
Murphy 9. 10
Pena, 7
Phelan 14
Ready 15
Stannard 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8
Walsh 13, 14
Welch 15
Welsh 12

List of Places mentioned on the memorials
Ballydowall 5
Ballyragget 2, 5, 8,
Donoughmore 14
Eyre Court Castle 4
Galway, county 4
Grange 17
Kilkenny, county 5
The Grange 2

List of masons who signed their work
Gargan, Kilkenny 8

List of occupations, offices or ranks mentioned on the memorials
Captain 4
C.B. 1 (Companion of the Bath - a British Award)
Major 3
Lieut Col 5
Royal Engineers 4
Grangemacomb.  Now what exactly does this one say?.  Expert help from one of our canine graveyard explorers. And yes, believe it or not, we got the total inscription from this nineteenth century memorial.